Principal, The Osder Group (fulltime since 2008)
Buzznet.com, Senior Vice President, Audience (Programming, Product, Marketing)
Yahoo! News & Yahoo! Search Marketing, Senior Director, and Director Global Product Management
Razorfish/Scient/iXL, Vice President, General Manager, Global Managing Partner Media & Entertainment Practice
USC Annenberg School of Journalism, Visiting Professor, Strategic Consultant and Editor for OJR and proposed Center for Online Journalism and Communication.
The New York Times Company, Director and Editor
Advance Publication, Executive Producer
Poynter Institute for Media Studies, Executive Producer
Associated Press, Photo Editor
Accomplished media/internet services executive with extensive product innovation, editorial, business development and consulting experience. Successful track record managing cross-functional teams and complex projects, launching new products, developing alliances, implementing new technologies and leading organizational change for companies like the New York Times, Financial Times and Advance Publications.
1993- present The Osder Group
Consultancy specializing in services for e-commerce, news, information and entertainment media companies. Areas of expertise include Social Media innovations, Audience Development (Product and Marketing) Content Programming and Online Community Development. Clients have included Edmunds.com, Scholastic, Google news, USC Annenberg and others.
Additional client and engagement list available upon request.
3/2007 – 3/2008 Buzznet.com
Senior Vice President, Audience
SVP of Audience (Product, Programming, Marketing) for Buzznet.com, during critical start-up months, that included growing company 10-40 FTEs and the traffic from 3-6mm/uu. Established customer-centric roadmap, product development process and staffed and structured teams in product, marketing, design production and programming. Efforts provided Buzznet a solid operating foundation for rapid growth making Buzznet one of the largest consumer entertainment brands online. During this critical time of growth and development the leadership team secured an additional $20mm in funding
2004 – March 2007 Yahoo Inc
Sr. Director Product, Yahoo News & Information (since 7/05)
Focus on product innovation for Y! News including local, search and social media initiatives. Examples of current products include blog search, “citizen’s journalism,” local news, rss, social software integrations, multimedia search, youth and local initiatives.
Director, Global Product Management, Yahoo! Search Marketing
Product development and strategy focusing on partner products (media and publishing) including Content Match, Yahoo! Publisher Network and new distribution opportunities like RSS and mobile.
2002 – 2004 University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication
Visiting Professor, Deputy Editor, Strategic Consultant
- Convergence curriculum development, courses on leadership and management, new media product development and multimedia storytelling.
- Deputy Editor, Online Journalism Review and Director of Strategy and Development for the Center for Online Journalism and Communication.
1998 – 2001 Razorfish Inc. (formerly known as Scient/iXL Inc.)
Global Managing Partner, Scient, 2001
General Manager, iXL, 2000
Vice President, iXL 1999
Managed P&L and supervised company-wide projects for Fortune 1000 Media & Entertainment clients including Pearson; News Corp; Scripps Howard; Time Warner; Reed Elsevier; Primedia; Bertelsmann and others. Grew the publishing practice by 400% over 2 years. Initiatives included business and product strategy; market and revenue analysis; marketing and branding; digital media solutions including rich and text media content management, tools selection, editorial workflow and tools development; and editorial operations, process and content development. Engagement and client list available upon request.
1995 – 1999 The New York Times Company
Director of New Media, 1998-99
Director of Product Development, 1997-98
Content Development Editor, 1995-97
- Conducted evaluation of existing internet initiatives in the NYT News Services Division; implemented a multi-year staffing and development plan; emphasis was on product development, improved customer service and cost reduction.
- Developed and managed the product development group responsible for the creating all new sections and services for NYTImes.com. Directed a cross-functional team from editorial business and technology; implemented a five-stage product development methodology that improved cycle time, editorial integrity, interdepartmental communications and quality assurance. New products included NYT Learning, Books, Opinion, NYToday, and distribution channel development for wireless, and other new technologies.
- Led the 1998 re-design and re-launch of NYTimes.com including 18 sections and research and requirements for content management and publishing systems.
- Developed distribution opportunities and content partnerships via new technologies
- Developed new sections and services, produced and edited special projects and features packages.
1994 – 1995 Advance Publications Internet
- Worked with partner newspapers on implementing internet strategies. Developed and launched web sites for Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Cleveland.com and Newark Star Ledger including NJ.com.
- Developed content plans and sites for some of the newspaper industry’s first notable web projects including award winning sites such as “Weather and the Old Farmer’s Almanac” (internet’s first graphics weather forecast), Rockhall.com,” (first major music site) “The Yuckiest Site on the Internet” (first science education site for children).
1993 – 1994 Poynter Institute for Media Studies
Development Editor and Producer
- Developed the Institute’s first online service and initial web publishing strategy. Worked with NANDO New Media on prototype, publishing and operations plan.
1992 – 1994 Associated Press
Photo Editor, New York, National, International and Specials Desks
1982 –1994 Freelance Photography
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Columbia University, School of Journalism, Adjunct Professor; New York University, Adjunct Professor; University of Navarre, Pamplona, Spain, Visiting Professor; MIT Media Lab, Guest Lecturer; American Press Institute, Reston, Virginia; Visiting Faculty; Poynter Institute for Media Studies, Visiting Faculty; Center for Journalism and Further Education (CFJE), Copenhagen, Denmark, Guest Lecturer; Norwegian Journalism Institute, Guest Faculty. Details available upon request.
Speeches and Presentations
- NetMedia Villanova, Spain; European Union-Cost Action 20, Pamplona, Spain; AEJMC; Western Publishers Association; USC/Berkley New Media Conference; American Copy Editors Association; Online News Association; USC Annenberg School for Communication; New York New Media Association (NYNMA); Future of Content; Stanford University; Keynote Moderator, 13th Annual Interactive Newspapers Conference; National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE); Stanford University, Joint Program in Engineering and Design; Freedom Forum’s First Amendment Center; NPR/PBS Online Summit; George Washington University; Public Radio Conference (PRC); Folio Mid-West; European Union Center, University of Missouri; Folio; Online Journalism Symposium, University of Texas; Webgrrls; Society of News Design (SND); Seybold/Wired Magazine Seminars; The Nieman Foundation, The Project in Excellence in Journalism; Center for Communication; New York University, Stern School of Business; Basque Regional Technology Infrastructure Development Conference, Bilboa, Spain; NAA’s Connections, Editor and Publisher; IFRA, INES, Geneva, Switzerland. Details available upon request.
- Online News Association, Founder and Board Member; School of Journalism, Indiana University, Board of Visitors; American Press Institute, New Media Center, Advisory Board; American Cancer Society, Advisory Board, Cancer.org; NYU’s Center for Publishing, Advisory Board; The Florence Fund, Tompaine.com, Board of Directors
- Finalist, World Technology Award, Media and Journalism, 1999; 50 Names to Know in New Media, Online Journalism Review, 1998; Top 100 New York Media Leaders, Silicon Alley Reporter, 1997; Top Ten Women in New York New Media, @NY, 1997; Several “Eppy” and “Edgie” Awards for categories ranging from “Best Community Site” to “Best Online Newspaper” for work at NYTimes.com and NJ.com. Details available upon request.
- CNN “NewsNight” with Aaron Brown; Byte; Computer World, Computer Mediated Communications Journal; Wired; NAA Digital Edge; Ideas.
John S. Knight Fellowship
- Awarded a one year academic fellowship in 2001-2002. Areas of study included: Technology, Communication and Change, Stanford Business School; Human Computer Interaction, Stanford School for Communications and Engineering
University of Missouri, School of Journalism
- Master of Arts in Journalism
The Poynter Institute for Media Studies
- Graduate Fellowship in Media Management and Operations
Mount Holyoke College
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Available upon request